Philips 3200 Lattego vs Delonghi Magnifica XS is the next debate over espresso machines that we will decide the winner of. For me, Philips 3200 LatteGo is the final winner. If you read my recent reviews, you know that there aren’t many models that have what it takes to excel this one in the mid-range scale.
Philips 3200 LatteGo is a jack-of-all-trades machine that does well in almost every aspect of espresso. It has a bunch of interesting one-touch beverages, including Americano and latte macchiato. It heats up super quickly, and the drinks taste divine. I can’t complain much about this model’s performance, given its consistency in everything, from grinding beans to extraction.
As for the Delonghi Magnifica XS, it performs better than the Philips 3200 LatteGo in the temperature department. It can also extract balanced espresso. However, its steel grinder and simplistic one-touch beverages can’t surpass the Philips 3200 LatteGo.
Philips 3200 Lattego vs Delonghi Magnifica Xs: Comparison Chart
Last update on 2023-09-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Philips 3200 Lattego vs Delonghi Magnifica Xs: Differences
Philips 3200 Lattego wins 2-0 and ties 2 against Delonghi Magnifica Xs. Its overall performance is much better, not only in espresso flavor or microform milk frothing. Learn more about both machines’ strengths and weaknesses below.
Coffee flavor and brewing technique
These two espresso machines employ different grinders for the grinding process.
The Philips 3200 Lattego coffee machine is equipped with a ceramic flat burr grinder. Compared to metal burrs, ceramic burrs are less conductive and don’t transfer heat to the coffee beans during the grinding process. This helps to enhance flavor extraction, resulting in a better-tasting cup of coffee.
However, ceramic burrs can be more vulnerable to damage from foreign objects, such as small rocks that may accidentally mix with the coffee beans. Nevertheless, such situations are uncommon.
The Delonghi Magnifica XS, on the other hand, features a stainless steel conical burr grinder. Stainless steel is a sturdy material that is resistant to corrosion and has a longer lifespan compared to ceramic. Conical burrs are great at creating a consistent grind size, which is essential for a well-balanced cup of espresso. However, stainless steel grinders can generate more heat, which may affect the taste of the coffee.
Both of these machines provide adjustable grind settings, which is a crucial feature for coffee enthusiasts who enjoy experimenting with various brewing methods and beans. The Philips 3200 Lattego has 12 grind settings, and the Magnifica XS offers 13 settings. With their wide range of grind size selections, you have enough variety to fine-tune your grind for different brewing methods such as espresso, Aeropress, or French Press.
Both the Philips 3200 Lattego and the Delonghi Magnifica XS have a single heating element, but the Delonghi Magnifica XS uses a Thermoblock, while the Philips 3200 Lattego has a single boiler.
Based on my own experience, I’ve noticed that the Magnifica XS has a faster heat-up time of around 30-45 seconds, while the 3200 Lattego takes approximately 1 minute to warm up. As you already know, a thermoblock heating system is known for its quick heating ability compared to traditional boilers.
In return, the Philips 3200 Lattego tends to provide a more consistent water temperature. This is because the water is heated in a single, contained unit, which allows for better control and stabilization of the temperature.
Since these espresso machines all use only one heating element, they can’t brew coffee and steam milk simultaneously. However, after testing two machines, I discovered that the time you have to wait for the Magnifica XS to switch between the brewing and steaming processes is shorter than the Philips 3200 Lattego.
These machines are fully automatic, so the dosing and tamping steps are also automated. What I like the most about the dosing part is that we can adjust the coffee strength through it.
When using the Delonghi Magnifica XS, I prefer to set a smaller dose as the grinder has a tendency to slightly roast the bean, which can make the espresso more bitter than I prefer. By adjusting the dose to a lower setting, I am able to achieve a more mellow and enjoyable shot of espresso.
With Philips 3200 Lattego, the dose can vary at three levels. After testing each level, I can say that the espresso and coffee flavors on each level are excellent. The lowest dose level produces a silky-smooth espresso, while the highest level creates a bold yet well-balanced coffee.
The winner: Philips 3200 Lattego
It is undeniable that the milk system of the Philips 3200 Lattego is exceptional. The carafe setup of this machine allows me to prepare microfoam in under a minute, and the frothing process is completely automated.
This milk system allows for hassle-free cleaning with its Lattego frother, which includes a round side chamber for quick milk and air mixing and can be stored in the refrigerator. Also, it goes well with many types of milk, such as lactose-free organic, almond, coconut, and oat milk.
This milk system doesn’t have tubes for the milk to travel through, which eliminates the risk of the milk sitting and going bad. However, it does make a loud and high-pitched noise that sounds similar to a pressure cooker, which is a drawback.
The Delonghi Magnifica XS comes with a steam wand, and as a mid-range machine, I was expecting it to produce high-quality microfoam. However, the results have shown otherwise. While the texture was creamy, the foam wasn’t airy enough, and the steamed milk wasn’t dense.
Unlike a traditional wand, this steam wand automatically incorporates air into the milk for frothing. This makes it easy for beginners without much barista experience to use. However, since the amount of air added can’t be regulated, the resulting milk foam is only of average quality.
Design and convenience
The winner: Philips 3200 LatteGo
The DeLonghi Magnifica XS has a sturdy and durable build, with a combination of stainless steel and plastic components that gives it an industrial look.
The machine feels sturdy and reliable due to the use of metal parts. However, there are some plastic components included, which may not be preferred by those seeking an all-metal construction. Nevertheless, these plastic parts are of high quality and are strategically placed to minimize any potential impact on the machine’s durability.
The Philips 3200 LatteGo has a contemporary and stylish appearance, incorporating plastic and metal components. While the machine is sturdy, it does rely more on plastic than the DeLonghi model, which may make it feel slightly less durable.
Weight, dimensions, and capacity
These two espresso machines are compact and relatively lightweight, designed to fit comfortably on most kitchen countertops without taking up too much space.
Starting with weight, the DeLonghi Magnifica XS is heavier, around 20 pounds. The Philips 3200 LatteGo is a tad lighter, generally weighing about 17.6 pounds. The slightly lighter weight of the Philips model could be advantageous if you find yourself needing to move the machine around your kitchen or store it when not in use.
In terms of dimensions, both machines are designed to be space-efficient. The DeLonghi Magnifica XS has dimensions of approximately 9.4 x 17 x 13.8 inches. Similarly, the Philips 3200 LatteGo is around 9.7 x 14.6 x 17.4 inches.
Regarding their water tank capacity, both the DeLonghi Magnifica XS and the Philips 3200 LatteGo have similar specifications, around 1.8 liters. This means you can make multiple brews before needing to refill the tank, and you won’t notice much of a difference between the two in terms of water capacity.
The DeLonghi Magnifica XS typically has a bean hopper capacity of 8.8 ounces (or 250 grams) for coffee beans. The Philips 3200 LatteGo is quite similar, with a bean hopper that can hold up to 275 grams of beans. The Philips model does offer a slight advantage if you prefer storing more beans in the machine for added convenience.
Front-access water tank
If you have owned a top or back water tank, you will understand the benefit of having a frontal water tank. It’s much easier to remove and refill the tank every day if you brew a large volume of espresso. That’s why I enjoy reviewing the Philips 3200 LatteGo and Delonghi Magnifica XS. Handling them daily has been fun.
The list of one-touch beverages that these machines can brew is:
- Philips 3200 LatteGo: Espresso, double espresso, coffee, double coffee, Americano, double Americano, cappuccino, latte macchiato, and hot water
- Delonghi Magnifica XS: espresso, double espresso, espresso lungo, and double espresso lungo
So, with the Philips 3200 LatteGo, users have access to a bunch of classic coffee recipes, including milk-based ones. If you are a fan of super-automatic machines, the one-touch recipes are an important detail you must remember. After all, there is no reason to spend more on a so-called super-automatic machine when it doesn’t automatically brew elaborate stuff.
Cleaning and maintenance
When selecting an espresso machine, many people consider ease of cleaning and maintenance to be crucial factors. The DeLonghi Magnifica XS and Philips 3200 LatteGo both have features that aim to make these tasks easier, but they have different approaches and levels of effectiveness.
Maintaining the DeLonghi Magnifica XS is similar to other espresso machines and involves standard procedures. The drip tray and used coffee grounds bin are removable, making it easy to clean them. The machine will alert you when it’s time to descale, but you’ll need to take apart the brew group for a thorough cleaning. Although not difficult, this task may be challenging for those who are not accustomed to working with appliances.
The Philips 3200 LatteGo has a unique milk frothing system called the LatteGo. Unlike traditional frothers, it has fewer parts and no complicated tubes. This makes it easier to clean, as you can simply rinse the parts under tap water, and some parts are even dishwasher-safe. The machine also has a descaling alert and removable trays and bins, like the DeLonghi model.
One more point to consider is the Philips 3200 LatteGo’s AquaClean filter, which can significantly reduce the frequency of required descaling. This is a convenient feature that can extend the periods between necessary maintenance tasks, making your life a bit easier in the long run.
The DeLonghi Magnifica XS also comes with a water softener filter, which serves a similar purpose to the Philips 3200 LatteGo’s AquaClean filter. The water softener filter reduces limescale buildup, prolonging machine life and decreasing descaling frequency.
Quick Rundown of Philips 3200 Lattego
- With Philips 3200 Series enjoy the delicious taste and aroma of coffee from fresh beans at the perfect temperature.Pump pressure : 15 bar, Adjustable spout height : 85-145 mm, Aroma Seal : yes, Guided descaling : yes. Cord length : 100 cm..Recyclable packaging material : >95 %. ECO setting : Yes.
- LatteGo Milk System: Top your coffee off with a silky-smooth layer of milk froth
- Intuitive Touch Display: Select the perfect coffee for your mood with just one touch
- My Coffee Choice Menu: Adjust the strength and quantity of your beverage and choose from three different settings to suit your preferences. The Aroma Extract system intelligently strikes the optimum balance between brewing temperature and aroma extraction by keeping the water temperature between 90 and 98°C
- Powerful Filter and Easy Maintenance: Thanks to the AquaClean, enjoy clear and purified water - by changing the filter after being prompted by the machine, you will not need to descale your machine for up to 5000 cups
Last update on 2023-09-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Quick Rundown of Delonghi Magnifica Xs
- This automatic coffee maker has a professional burr grinder with 13 adjustable settings grinds fresh beans every time to ensure maximum freshness. You can also use pre-ground in the second chamber. Your choice of regular, specialty or decaf.
- The adjustable manual cappuccino system mixes steam and milk to create the thickest, longest-lasting foam for your cappuccino. And it’s easy to adjust the levels to prepare a creamy latte, macchiato or flat white. Height adjustable Coffee spout
- Simply adjust the menu settings for temperature, coffee strength and cup size according to your preferences. The machine takes care of the rest.
- Maintenance: de’longhi machines require half the cleaning time of other brands, unlike competitor machines, which require chemical cleaning tablets monthly.
- Warranties may not apply to purchases from an unauthorized retailer.
Last update on 2023-09-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Related Articles to Philips 3200 Lattego
- Gaggia Brera vs Philips 3200 LatteGo: The Major Differences Between These Entry-level Machines
- Gaggia Anima Prestige Vs Philips 3200 LatteGo: A Head-To-Head Comparison
- Gaggia Anima vs Philips 3200 Lattego: Which Model Is Perfect For Cappuccino Lovers?
- Delonghi Esam3300 Vs Philips 3200 Lattego: A Face-Off Battle
- DeLonghi Eletta vs Philips 3200 LatteGo: Which Super-automatic Should You Choose?
- Philips 3200 LatteGo vs 2200: Unraveling The Best Value for Money
- Philips LatteGo 3200 vs Jura E8: Honest Comparison Of 2 Nothing-Alike Espresso Makers
- Philips LatteGo 3200 vs 4000: 5 Major Differences And Which Model You Should Invest
- Philips 3200 Lattego vs Saeco Xelsis: Comparing 2 Popular Models For Milk-based Coffees
- Philips 3200 vs Delonghi Magnifica: Reviewing 2 Potent Entry-level Espresso Machines
Related Articles to Delonghi Magnifica Xs
- Delonghi Magnifica XS vs Magnifica: Which Espresso Machine Will Be The Final Winner?
- Delonghi Magnifica XS vs Eletta: Useful Review You Should Know
- Delonghi Dinamica vs Magnifica XS: Comparing 2 Most Popular Mid-range Espresso Machines By Delonghi
- Delonghi Magnifica S vs XS: What You Should Choose?
- Delonghi Magnifica XS vs Gaggia Brera: Honest Review For a Good Budget Espresso Machine
- Philips 3200 vs Delonghi Magnifica XS: 4 Major Differences In Flavor, Milk Frothing, And More
- Breville Barista Express vs Delonghi Magnifica XS: An Honest Review Of My Real Experience With These Machines
- Philips Lattego 3200: https://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/EP3241_54/series-3200-fully-automatic-espresso-machines
- Delonghi Magnifica XS: https://www.delonghi.com/en-us/magnifica-xs-automatic-espresso-machine-cappuccino-maker-ecam22110sb/p/ECAM22110SB
I’m Floyd J. Alcock, an experienced barista with a deep love for coffee. I curate personalized coffee experiences, guiding customers through diverse flavor profiles and suggesting ideal brewing methods. My extensive knowledge of espresso machines enables me to recommend the best equipment to match specific needs and budgets. Sharing my expertise and passion with coffee enthusiasts brings immense satisfaction. I look forward to continuing my journey of coffee discovery with every customer I serve, fostering connections over a shared love for this magical beverage.