If you are wondering which wins between Barista Express 870 vs 875, I have the answer for you: Barista Express 870. In fact, the core production of these machines is exactly the same. So basically, they don’t have any difference except for the accessory that comes with them.
With the 870 model, you will get the core machine alongside a bundle of accessories like a coffee scoop, milk jug, 54mm portafilter, etc. This one is the winner because its price point is much better than the 875 line. In addition, its flavor performance is wonderful, and we have all the basic items for a classic cup of Joe.
The only advantage that the Barista 875 has is its thermal milk jug. The jug is designed to display the real-time temperature of the liquid content inside it. The feature helps us control the milk temperature so that it won’t get too hot and makes the drink take forever to cool down. The thing is: Breville charges extra much for this thermal pitcher, which I don’t find very necessary in the long run.
Barista Express 870 vs 875: Comparison Chart
Last update on 2022-09-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Barista Express 870 vs 875: Differences
The only difference between Barista Express 870 and 875 is the Thermo Milk Jug. The jug that comes with Barista 875 is designed with an integrated thermometer that displays the real-time temperature of the milk inside. The thermometer will slowly appear according to the milk temperature during and after frothing.
What are the benefits of the Thermo Milk Jug? Besides knowing the temp, I don’t find the feature highly impressive or practical. It doesn’t help with the foam texture, either. Whenever I froth milk foam, I deliberately move the jug around until the milk texture is creamy enough and the pitcher is slightly too hot to hold comfortably. In the long run, you won’t even look at the thermometer on the jug.
But of course, if you are a beginner and this is your first experience purchasing coffee-related devices, I still encourage you to buy it if you find the jug’s additional feature convenient.
Barista Express 870 vs 875: Similarities
Regarding similarities, these espresso makers are identical. So what are the most important features that you should know about? Get to know their heat performance, flavor, and milk frothing.
Thermocoil heating element
For precisely balanced flavors, the Thermocoil heating technology with PID temperature control delivers water at exactly 200°F during the entire brewing time. This allows a balanced extraction of the whole puck of coffee ground. If the temperature fluctuates repeatedly, parts of the ground will taste bitter while the others taste watered-down. Combining these unbalanced flavors won’t result in a good cup of espresso.
After testing the Barista Express, I must say I’m impressed with the espresso extraction. It does what it says: delivering balanced shots of espresso with a tasty, sweet, and bitter note. After each extraction, I can see a notable layer of foam forming on top. It helps thicken the texture of the espresso and gives it a better mouthfeel.
Potent conical burr grinder with 16 settings
A conical burr grinder reduces the possibility of experiencing a jam to almost zero. After testing the grinder, I’m impressed with its performance of delivering even ground with little to no clump. Also, there are 16 settings to grind beans from coarse to fine.
At first, I must say that it can be tricky to find the correct grind size for your need. Some prefer strong espresso. Thus, a high setting will be more adequate. On the other hand, some enjoy light espresso, which can be achieved through a puck of coarse coffee ground only.
You will have to play around with the grind setting during the first brews. For me, I like my grinder set at level 10 or 11. I get strong espresso but not too bitter and too fine for the pump pressure to work with.
Built-in pressure gauge
With the pressure gauge, you can watch the machine slowly applying pressure to extract espresso essence using low-pressure pre-infusion technology. Personally, I think the gauge is very practical. In addition, we have real-time information on whether the 15 bars pump pressure is working correctly or not to extract a rich cup of espresso.
Of course, there isn’t much we can do when the pressure isn’t potent enough except for sending the machine back for a warranty. But with a gauge, we know the device has a problem, and we must do something about it before the fault gets too severe for a worthy fix.
Perfect milk wand for lattes
In case you are looking forward to making dry microform, I will tell you immediately that these models aren’t made for this. But, if you enjoy the creaminess of steamed milk with a thin but notable layer of foam, Breville Barista Express is for you.
I have tested the wands, and I believe they are more than great for drinks like latte, flat white, mocha, or latte macchiato. The milk’s texture after frothing is also ideal for latte art. As for cappuccinos, the wands aren’t designed to froth dry foam, so it’s not up for it.
Quick Rundown Of Barista Express 870
- Get up to 24 bags of coffee beans with the purchase of this machine from September 19, 2022 to October 3, 2022. Visit beanz.com/us/en/promotions/coffee-day-2022.html to redeem. T&C apply.
- The Breville Barista Express delivers third wave specialty coffee at home using the 4 keys formula and is part of the Barista Series that offers all in one espresso machines with integrated grinder to go from beans to espresso in under one minute
- Dose Control Grinding: Integrated precision conical burr grinder grinds on demand to deliver the right amount of freshly ground coffee directly into the portafilter for your preferred taste with any roast of bean
- Optimal Water Pressure: Low pressure pre-infusion gradually increases pressure at the start and helps ensure all the flavors are drawn out evenly during the extraction for a balanced tasting cup. Grind Settings: 16 precision grind settings
- Precise Espresso Extraction: Digital temperature control (PID) delivers water at precisely the right temperature, ensuring optimal espresso extraction
Last update on 2022-09-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Quick Rundown Of Barista Express 875
Related Articles to Breville Barista Express
- Delonghi Magnifica S Smart vs Breville Barista Express: Comparison Of 2 Very Distinctive Espresso MAkers
- An Honest Review Of Breville Barista Express vs Oscar 2: Brew Performance, Milk Frother, And More!
- Breville Barista Express vs Delonghi Magnifica XS: An Honest Review Of My Real Experience With These Machines
- Barista Express 870 vs 875: Is There Any Difference Between These Models? – Quick Comparison
- Delonghi Magnifica S vs Breville Barista Express: Which One Brews Tastier Coffee?
- Breville Duo Temp Pro vs Barista Express: Why you should go for the Barista Express
- Breville Oracle Touch Vs Barista Express: Incredible Competition Between 2 Top Breville Machines
- Breville Bambino Plus Vs Barista Express: 4 Hot Features You Need To Know
- Breville Dual Boiler Vs Barista Express: A Wonderful Comparision For You
- Breville Barista Express vs Delonghi La Specialista: Which Is The Better Investment Espresso Machine For Beginners?
- Breville Barista Express vs Barista Pro: Which Espresso Machine Is the Best Option For Beginners?
- Breville Barista Express vs Philips 3200: Why the Breville Barista Express is the better pick?
- Breville Creatista Plus Vs Barista Express: Don’t Miss This Incredible Comparison
- Barista Express Vs Oracle Touch: Which Is The Best Espresso Maker?
- Breville Barista Express vs Infuser: A Battle Between 2 Great Espresso Machine
- Barista Express Vs Oracle: Exciting Competition Of 2 Espresso Machine
- Barista Express Vs La Specialista: A Hot Comparision You Should Not Miss
- Barista Express Vs Dual Boiler: Which One Is The Better Option?
- Breville Barista Express Vs Gaggia Classic Pro: Why The Breville Barista Express Is The Better Investment?
- Breville Barista Express vs Bambino: Battle Of the 2 Top Beginner Coffee Machines On the Market
- Barista Express Vs Barista Touch: Which One You Should Choose
- Breville Barista Express Vs Bambino Plus: Amazing Comparison You Should Read
- Nespresso Creatista Plus vs Breville Barista Express: What Is The Best Choice For Home Use?
- Breville Cafe Roma vs Barista Express – What Is the Best Espresso Machine?
- Top 7 Best Breville Espresso Machine Reviews
I am Ralph Mason and I am a passionate coffee drinker. I worked as a barista for a few years and since 2012 I have been trying to convince as many people as possible of good coffee.
I started writing on the barista blog on RepublikCoffeeBar in 2018. It was a pure hobby site and I tested coffee products like coffee machines, beans, mug, and other accessories. After the first year, my blog is becoming a well-known coffee site with about 100 thousand visits per month.
In 2019 I decided to focus on RepublikCoffeeBar only. I became a full-time coffee blogger and was declared crazy by many.