The skyrocketing sales of coffee grinders for the past years, we believe, is a sign that coffee fiends are getting aware of the more benefits of buying pre-ground coffee. The best burr coffee grinders are being re-invented to give coffee lovers the best they can get in grinding coffee beans at home.
But we can’t argue with this phenomenon. Instead, we are bringing these 5 best coffee grinders reviews to narrow down your choices in case you want to purchase a unit or two.
Start scrolling down and take a peek!
Best Coffee Grinders Reviews: Quick Summary
Best Coffee Grinders Reviews: Top 5 in 2020
- PRECISION GRINDING: Commercial-grade, solid steel conical burrs with advanced cutting design
- WIDE GRINDING RANGE: From ultrafine Turkish to French Press coarse and everything in between
- PRESERVES AROMA: Gear reduction motor grinds slow with reduced noise and little static build-up
- LARGE CAPACITY: 8.8 ounce bean container and 4 ounce ground coffee container
- EASY TO CLEAN: Removable upper burr allows access for easy cleaning
Do you want an infinite consistency in grinding your coffee beans? Then use the Capresso Infinity Conical Burr Grinder.
Capresso Infinity is a commercial-grade that is irrefutable than any standards. The conical burr grinder can have consistency from ultra-fine, ideal for Turkish coffee brew, to a coarser French press, and in-between these textures.
But how much you like your grind coarser or otherwise, the aroma and other essentials of coffee are retained. Although the Infinity is a slow grinder, it grinds consistently.
But the operation of the Capresso Infinity is as silent as it can be; you can hardly hear the sound of its motor. Moreover, it has a transparent bean hopper that can hold up to 8.8 ounces of roasted beans while the ground coffee capacity is 4 ounces.
- OXO On Conical Burr Grinder built-in scale measures grounds by weight instead of time, eliminating the need for a separate scale; automatic shutoff ensures a precise amount of ground coffee every time
- Durable, 40 mm stainless steel conical burrs create uniform grounds for up to 38 settings -- from fine for espresso to coarse for French press or cold brew
- High torque/low speed motor won’t overheat beans, preserving flavor and generating minimal static for less mess. Built-in overheating detection protects motor for long life
- Use the single dial to switch between Cups Mode, Grams Mode or Manual Mode. In Cups mode, you grind based on the number of cups of coffee you would like to brew.
- No-bean detector won't let you grind if the hopper is empty.Voltage is 120V/60Hz
To spare you more time in grinding coffee beans, the OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder has a built-in weighing scale. Therefore, you can prepare the beans by weight and not by time. You don’t have to buy a weighing scale just to measure the number of beans you want to grind.
This unique feature of OXO Brew is also integrated with an automatic shut off giving you the exact measurement of ground coffee beans any time. This amazing burr grinder has stainless steel conical burrs with a 40-mm size.
You can select any of the 38 settings it provides that ranges from ultra-fine (perfect for espresso) to coarser grounds (ideal for Cold Brew or French press). The rectangular plastic hopper is BPA-free and can hold 16 ounces of beans; more than double the capacity of other conical burr coffee grinders.
The OXO Brew Burr Coffee Grinder is sure to last because its motor is low-speed but has a high torque which prevents the electrical windings to overheat. Moreover, the machine has an automatic detection system that shuts off the motor when it senses overheating.
- SPECIALTY COFFEE ASSOCIATION AWARD WINNING GRINDERS - Baratza grinders are preferred by coffee professionals and backed by Baratza’s world class support.
- GO-TO ENTRY LEVEL GRINDER - Baratza’s best-selling grinder, with its small footprint, is THE choice for brewing coffee at home. Available in White or Black.
- USER FRIENDLY - A convenient, front-mounted pulse button, plus a simple ON/OFF switch make it easy to grind fresh coffee.
- 40 GRIND SETTINGS - Engineered with 40mm commercial-grade conical burrs that help you explore the extensive range of brew methods (espresso, Aeropress, Hario V60, Chemex, French Press, and automatic brewers).
- WARRANTY/QUALITY PARTS - Hardened alloy steel burrs manufactured in Liechtenstein, Europe, plus a powerful DC motor. This combination creates a consistent grind and durability to ensure the longevity users have come to expect from the Baratza brand. The Encore is backed by Baratza’s world class support and a 1 year warranty. 2020 Update has exact same trusted functionality with a sleek new exterior.
The Baratza Virtuoso Conical Burr Grinder is made from die-cast zinc making it more durable and environment-friendly.
This efficient and precise conical burr grinder assures you of longer service life. For a more accurate grinding, the Baratza Virtuoso is consists of 40 grind settings allowing a precise grind from ultra-fine (for espresso) and the coarser ground fitting a French press or a pour-over.
The grinding time for a full capacity load (the transparent hopper can accommodate 8 ounces of beans) just takes a minute, faster than you can prepare a bowl of oatmeal.
The Virtuoso Burr Grinder has a brushed-satin metal top which makes it a perfect complement on the kitchen counter.
- 25 Grind Settings for French press, drip, percolator and espresso coffee
- Backlit LCD Screen clearly shows grind setting, number of cups or shots and customized grind amount
- Auto dosing system calibrates each adjusted dose
- Bean Hopper with air tight lid and locking system for easy removal storage and transfer of coffee beans
- Accessories include two portafilter cradles, grind container and conical burr cleaning brush
The Breville Smart Coffee Grinder is what you expect: a smart grinding machine. If you seek the best in technology and bringing you the best value for your money, the Breville Smart Grinder is an intelligent choice.
The Breville BCG800BSXL is an upscale electronic burr coffee grinder that has a backlit LCD screen which shows you the grind setting.
For more hands-free grinding, this smart grinder has 25 grind settings to choose from (perfect for ultra-fine ground for espresso to coarser consistency ideal for French press). The Breville Smart Grinder has an auto dosing system which calibrates each dose calculated by the Dosing IQ while you adjust.
When you buy this burr coffee grinder, you also get two portafilter cradles, a grinding container, and a conical burr cleaning brush. The Breville Smart’s stainless steel conical burrs, unlike other metal blades, minimize the heat generates by crushing the beans, hence the essential oils are retained in your coffee.
- Fully programmable 1/2 pound capacity hopper
- Cup selector from 1-14 for your precise amount of coffee
- 18 position grind selector from ultra-fine for espresso to extra coarse for French press.
- Removable grind chamber, heavy duty motor, cord storage. BPA Free
- Conical burr grinder delivers a full-flavor, uniform grind without heating the beans.
Cuisinart had long been an industry leader, whether it’s a coffee maker or a coffee grinder, the brand just sticks to the mind of coffee aficionados across the globe. And the Cuisinart Programmable Burr Mill is another masterpiece.
This fully-programmable conical burr grinder has 0.50 lb. hopper capacity and is transparent so you will know when the container is empty. It has a cup selector from 1 to 14; this lets you measure the exact amount of coffee.
Furthermore, it got 18 grind selectors from extra-fine, fit for espresso and the like, to coarser texture, ideal for French presses.
The electrically-driven Cuisinart CBM-18N delivers a rich and full-flavor ground coffee that retains the essential oils present in roasted coffee beans.
Tips On How To Buy The Best Coffee Grinders
Coffee grinders come in a wide variety and differ from each other in terms of features, functions, quality and brand. Therefore, when you are shopping for these appliances, you are likely to encounter thousands of models to choose from. As such, for you to make the right choice, you will need to ensure that you the tips to follow. This makes it easy for you to know the dos and don’ts to observe while shopping for coffee grinders. Some of the factors that you should put to consideration when looking to buy the best coffee grinder include:
The capacity of a coffee grinder will determine how much coffee you can grind at a time. If you have a large family or prefer to grind a week’s supply at once, then you should settle for a grinder with a high capacity. The best thing about grinders with big capacities is that they do not limit you in any way when it comes to grinding your preferred amount of coffee. Settle on a coffee grinder that has the capacity that meets your needs.
Grinders come in a wide range of sizes, some are compact while others are excessively large. Blade grinders in particular are compact and most come in the size of small blenders. On the other hand, burr grinders on the other hand are quite large with some of the models being bigger than actual coffee machines. The best way to identify the right size for you is by considering the available countertop space in your kitchen. If you have a small kitchen, then you should consider investing in a compact size grinder that is space-efficient.
Your ideal coffee grinder should feature multiple grind settings and options. For you to be in a position of grinding coffee beans for a variety of drinks such as espresso, cafetiere, and filter coffee, you should look for a grinder that has several grind options. This also makes it easy for you customize and personalize the grinding process to meet your preferences and needs.
There are tens of brands that make the coffee grinders in present times. Some of these brands are superior in terms of quality and designs. Some of these manufacturers are known to make reliable and high-performance grinders while other brands make substandard products. Due to this, you have to be quite careful so that you are able to identify the right brand for you. It is advisable that you only settle for brands that are known to make superior quality machines. These brands give you excellent value for your hard-earned cash while at the same time ensuring that they give you excellent service for long.
When it comes to investing in the best quality grinder, it is crucial that you only settle for models with excellent consistency when it comes to performance and functionality. Additionally, you should ensure that the grinder of choice can grind your coffee beans at different sizes ranging from extra-fine to fine, medium-coarse, medium, or coarse. Most coffee brewing methods require you to use different bean sizes. This is because the grind size determines how water will filter through the beans.
Blade grinders vs. burr grinders
Burr grinders come with 2 oscillating, serrated plates that are also known as burrs. These plates crush and grind the beans by coming together rather than cutting them. This, in turn, gives rise to uniformly sized grinds. The best thing about these grinders is that they allow you to adjust the space between the plates thereby allowing you great control over the size of grinds.
Blade grinders, just like the name suggests use a set of blades like those in the propeller of a plane to slice coffee beans into small sizes. These grinders produce grinds that are not uniform in size. What is more about these grinders is that you cannot adjust the size of the grinds. As such, the flavor of coffee beans ground by burr grinders is superior to that of a blade grinder. However, blade grinders are quite effective and are an ideal choice for budget-conscious shoppers.
The pricing of coffee grinders varies greatly depending on make and quality. Grinders come with a flexible pricing with some models costing as little as $40. However, there are models that cost a few hundred dollars. The right thing to do when shopping for these appliances is have a budget. With a budget, it becomes easy to identify the brands and models that are within your affordability.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are blade grinders a bad choice?
Yes and no. On one hand, these grinders are quite affordable and get the work done. On the other hand, these grinders are not the best choice for people looking for uniform grinds. As such, beans ground using a blade grinder do not extract properly.
Does a coffee grinder matter?
Coffee grounds with varying sizes extract differently. If you are looking to enjoy a balanced coffee, then you should have uniform grounds. So, coffee grinders matter greatly when it comes to the quality and flavor of coffee you want to enjoy.
Do coffee grinders wear out?
Yes, but the wearing out is extremely slow. Coffee grinders; both blade and burr grinders are designed uniquely such that they need replacement after several decades. However, depending on brand and quality of your grinder, you may have to replace the blades and plates after a few years.
Should I clean my coffee grinder?
Yes you should. In any case, why wouldn’t you want to clean the grinder? Like any other coffee appliance, it is crucial to clean your grinder regularly, preferably after every one or two uses.
Are electric grinders better than manual grinders?
Both manual and electric grinders have their own fair share of advantages and disadvantages. Manual grinders are affordable and are incredibly durable and consistent. On the other hand, electric grinders on the other hand are easy to use and convenient. However, they attract high prices and tend to be less durable than manual grinders. As such, you should always invest in the type of grinder that excites you the most and one that meets all your needs.
How long should you grind with a manual grinder?
The approximate time you should take for grinding with a manual grinder is one minute. However, depending on your preferred grind size, you may take a shorter time if you want a coarse grind. For finer grinds, you should grind for longer until the beans are evenly ground.
We can help but admire the entire best burr coffee grinders that we just had reviewed. But if you can’t have them all, maybe we could pick two of the best among our list.
We don’t want to state which is which of the two. You’ll be a better judge.
Maybe we can talk about buying only one of these best burr grinders or both. We will decide later.
The Breville Smart Coffee Grinder is just what it is; it’s very smart. We want to be with brilliant guys so we don’t have to do difficult things in grinding coffee beans. Meanwhile, the Baratza Virtuoso’s 40 grind settings make us speechless. We also like appliances that we could be with for the rest of our lives (or maybe a decade will do).